Loppington is a small Salopian
village, population approximately 500, situated about 3 miles west of Wem
and forms part of the Dickin Estate. It dates back to Saxon times, gaining
its name from TUN - 'settlement' and LOPPA - the name of the Saxon headman
of the settlement. A farming community, it was recorded in the Domesday Book
as consisting of 5 hides (1 hide = 240 acres) and 8 ox teams.
Loppington Village - Circa 1900
Loppington Village - Circa 1991
Loppington has a Church, a village
shop and Post Office, a pub (we had 2 until 1992), local industry and
various farms, including a Parish Farm. There is even a village pond -
formerly the old Tan Pit where hides were treated until the close of the
18th century. This was cleared and restored to become an attractive feature
of the village in 1977 to celebrate the Queen's Jubilee.
The farming life of the village has
changed considerably. Once there was 7 farms with dairy herds - most of
which had to walk through the village. Now only 2 produce milk and only one
herd moves through the village.
The village houses the only remaining bull-ring
in north Shropshire, believed to have been used up to 1835 for bull baiting.
The main body of St Michael and All Angels church is 14th century,
with repairs of 1716, and the west tower and south aisle are 15th century. The south
porch is dated 1658, and it replaced another burnt during the Civil War when the church
was garrisoned by Parliamentary troops and stormed by the Royalists. The nave and aisle
may also be replacements of that period. What apparently makes the encounter rare was that,
for once, the Royalists were successful.